Grilled Lamb Chops With Charred Red Onion Chutney
Write a review
- 1 large red onion, cut crosswise into 1.5 cm thick slices
- 3 tbsp. Canola oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. whole cumin seeds
- Pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 medium ripe tomato, cored and and chopped
- 2 tbs. apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 4 x 2 cm thick bone in lamb shoulder chops
- Prepare a medium high gas or charcoal braai fire. Rub the onion slices with 1 Tbs. of the oil, keeping the rings intact, and season with 1 tsp. salt and ¼ tsp pepper. Arrange them on the braai in a single layer and cook, flipping once, until lightly charred, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer the onions to a cutting board and chop into small pieces.
- Heat 1 Tbs. of the oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the cumin and pepper flakes and cook, stirring constantly until toasted and fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the chopped onions, ¼ tsp. pepper and 1/3 cup water. Bring to boil, cover, reduce the heat to medium, and boil until the onions are soft, 5 to 7 minutes. Uncover the pan and continue to boil, stirring often, until thickened, about 5 minutes more. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, rub the lamb al over with the remaining 1 Tbs. oil and season with 2 tsp salt and ½ pepper. Grill, flipping once, until deep golden brown outside and medium rare inside, about 8 minutes total. Serve topped with chutney.
- Grilled onions became a savory chutney after a quick simmer with fresh tomatoes, a touch of sugar, vinegar, and spices. Serve with grilled or roasted potatoes.