For the tomato sauce
- 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
- ½ cup homemade chicken stock
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp xylitol
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Himalayan salt and black pepper
For the meatballs
- 700g pork mince
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 shallot or small onion, chopped
- 10g fresh basil, finely chopped
- 25g pine nuts, roughly chopped
- 50g mozzarella cheese, grated.
- Coconut oil or pork lard, for frying
- 50g parmesan cheese, grated
- Fresh basil, to garnish
1. For the tomato sauce
- Place all the ingredients in a pot, bring to a simmer and cook for 10-12 minutes. Adjust the seasoning. Using a stick blender, blitz the sauce until fairly (but not completely) smooth. Pour into the base of a shallow, medium-size oven-proof dish.
- 2. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
3. For the meatballs
- Place all the ingredients for the meatballs in a large bowl, season well and stir to combine. Roll the mixture into 8 meatballs.
- 4. Heat the coconut oil or lard in a frying pan, add the meatballs in batches and fry until golden on all sides. Then remove and drain on paper towel.
- 5. Top the tomato sauce with the browned meatballs, sprinkle with parmesan cheese and bake for 25-30 minutes or until the sauce is bubbling and the cheese has melted.
6. To serve
- Serve hot, garnished with fresh basil.
- Serving Size: 4