A delicious combination of tender, shredded pork, mixed with a richly flavoured sauce. This great dish originated in America and is now loved and cooked by all the nations in the world. Serve this at your next party, and provide lots of pita bread halves or halved bread rolls to serve the pulled pork in. It’s so easy to make, and everybody loves it!
- 1–1.2 kg boneless neck or shoulder of pork salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 45 ml brown sugar
- 45 ml honey
- 15 ml paprika
- 2 ml cumin
- 2 ml cinnamon
- 80 ml tomato puree or tomato sauce
- 125 ml ready-bought barbeque sauce
- 250 ml vegetable stock
- 45 ml apple vinegar or red wine vinegar
- 1. Preheat oven to 180°C.
- 2. Fry the onion and garlic in the oil until soft, and cool down.
- 3. Add the onion and garlic mixture the rest of the rubbing mixture´s ingredient, except the tomato puree or sauce, barbeque sauce, stock and vinegar.
- 4. Season the pork neck with salt and pepper and rub the onion mixture onto the pork.
- 5. Place the pork into a large oven roasting pan.
- 6. Mix the tomato puree, barbeque sauce, stock and vinegar and pour around the pork in the oven pan.
- 7. Cover the pan with tin foil (shiny side towards the pork) and bake for 2-2½ hours, or until the pork is very tender.
- 8. Remove the tin foil. turn the oven up to 230°C and oven roast until attractively brown on top.
- 9. Remove the roast from the oven and place somewhere in the kitchen to “rest” in the pan juices for at least 10 minutes.
- 10. Place pork on a flat wooden surface, use two forks, and “pull” the pork apart in long strands.
- 11. Do not make the strands to thin, as a bit of chunky texture gives a delicious, satisfying taste.
- 12. Check the pan juices have formed a slightly thick sauce.
- 13. If necessary, the thin sauce can be thickened with a small amount of gravy powder plain flour, 14. mixed with water into a paste.
- 15. Cook through to thicken.
- 16. Spoon the sauce over the shredded pork and mix gently to create a moist heap of shredded or “pulled” pork.
- 17. Serve hot on toasted slices of French bread or French bread roll halves
- 18. Sprinkle with herbs just before serving.
- For extra luxury, spoon small drops of crème fraiche on top of each serving before dusting with fresh herbs.
- Serving Size: 5