- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds cubed stew meat – I used beef shin
- 1 cup onion – diced
- 1 cup carrots – diced
- 1 cup mushrooms – sliced
- 3 cloves garlic – minced
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 6 cups beef broth
- 2/3 cup pearl barley
- salt and pepper to taste
- In large skillet over medium heat, heat the olive oil for about 2-3 minutes.
- Add half of beef cubes. Let cook without disturbing for about 3-4 minutes or until a brown crust begins to form. Turn once. Brown an additional 3-4 minutes and place in slow cooker.
- Repeat with remaining meat.
- To the already hot skillet, add your onion, carrots, mushrooms and garlic. Stirring to remove any flavorful brown bits from the bottom of the skillet.
- Saute until onions are just soft. Carrots will still be firm but will continue to cook in the slow cooker.
- Add tomato paste and sauté until incorporated into the veggies – it will be a bit thick, just keep stirring! Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Toss all that on top of the beef in your slow cooker.
- Add broth and barley.
- Stir until well combined.
- Cook on low for about 4 hours. Time will vary depending on how hot your slow cooker gets. Check the meat, when tender – its done! Season to taste.
- Serving Size: 10