1.5 kg chicken fillets
2 ℓ (8 k) water
2 chicken stock cubes
250 ml (1 k) raw white rice
a little oil
2 onions, finely chopped
2.5 ml (½ t) fresh garlic, chopped
2 50 g (1 packet) bacon, cubed
1 green pepper, pitted and cubed
2 85 g (1 tin) of mushrooms, drained
375 ml (1½ k) of boiling water
1 block of chicken stock
410 g (1 tin) of chopped tomatoes
2.5 ml (½ t) dry mixed herbs
salt and pepper to taste
- Heat water and chicken stock until boiling point and cook chicken fillets until cooked, about 50 to 60 minutes.
- Let chicken fillets cool and flake.
- In a casserole dish with a lid of 22 cm in diameter add butter or non-stick food spray. Pour in rice and keep aside.
- Heat oil and saute onions & garlic until soft. Add bacon and sauté until done.
- Add the green peppers and mushrooms and saute for three minutes.
- Mix chicken pieces with bacon mixture and spoon onto the rice.
- Stir in chicken stock with boiling water until dissolved. Stir in tomatoes, herbs, salt, and pepper.
- Pour tomato mixture over dish.
- Place lid on top and bake for 1½ hours. Switch off the oven and leave for another hour in a hot oven so the rice can absorb and swell from the sauce.
- Serve warm.